Navy Bean with Potato, Madagascar Pink Rice with Spinach (No Added Fat)
this past September. They take 25-30 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot if they haven't been soaked and 20-25 minutes if they have been; I soaked and ended up cooking for 26 minutes.
A little over a week ago, I prepared a tasty Navy Bean with Fennel and Brown Rices dish. I thought that I would take the recommendation to use potato with navy beans. Instead of using small pieces of potato, I went with larger 3/4" cubes and cooked for the entire time that the beans cooked. I also doubled the amount of onion, skipped the rice, modified some of the spices, and used beet stem and bell pepper. Here is what I did:
- A little over a cup of Navy beans soaked overnight in ample water
- 4 medium Yukon gold potatoes cut into 3/4" cubes (approx. 3 cups)
- 1T minced ginger
- 1/4 t ground cumin
- 1/8 t turmeric
- 1t black sesame seed
- 1 vegan bouillon cube
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup onion chopped into 1/4" cubes
- Medium bell pepper cut into 1/4" cubes (approx. 1 cup)
- Stems of 4 beet roots cut into 1/4" lengths (a bit over a cup)
- 1/4 t salt or to taste
- 2t fresh squeezed lemon juice
- I soaked the beans overnight for over 12 hours in ample (room temperature) water
- When I was ready to cook, I drained the beans, rinsed, and added to the Instant Pot.
- I added the potato, ginger, cumin, turmeric, black sesame seed, bouillon cube, and 1 cup of water, and cooked for 25m under pressure.
- I slowly released pressure and opened the pot.
- I added the onion, bell pepper, beet root, an salt, and cooked for another minute under high pressure.
- I slowly released the pressure, added the lemon juice, and served.