Red Chard with Yukon Gold Potato and Carrot, Uttapam
a rainbow chard dish from this past May, but this red chard had much more delicate stems and a lovely red color. I don't think that I've seen red chard before. I made a simple dinner that turned out pretty and tasty.
- Approx. 1/2 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes (I used about a third of a medium onion)
- 2 plantains cut into 1/2" slices and then quartered
- 2 small carrots cut into 3/8" slices
- 2t chopped basil (I used frozen cubes)
- Medium Yukon gold potato cut into 3/8" squares
- Red chard, stems excepted, roughly hand torn into approximately 3/4" squares
- 1/2 t freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
- (Optional) Hot sauce to taste
- I put into a large Saladmaster stock pan, in this order, the onion, plantain, carrot, basil, and potato.
- I cooked, covered, on medium high for a few minutes till the vapor release started jiggling, then cooked on low heat (low enough to stop the jiggling) for about 20m.
- I quickly opened the pan, added chard, and covered again for just a minute, then I turned the heat off, stirred in the salt and pepper, and served, adding hot sauce at the table.
Ideas for the future