Friday, January 30, 2015

Kale with Carrot and Corn, served with Organic Brown Mekong Flower Rice, Tempeh, and Asparagus (No Added Fat)

I prepared a kale dish as well as rice with vegetables tonight. I had prepared a cauliflower dish earlier for a family who recently had a baby, and served a bit of that to my Dad for his dinner, so was free to use garlic (he doesn't eat garlic) in our meal.

Ingredients

  • Head of kale; bottom inch or so of stems removed and kept for composting, then remaining kale, stems and leaves together cut into 3/4" strips
  • Leek; root removed and then about 2 1/2" or so of bottom cut into slices about 1/4" x 1" (about a cup) and well washed
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
  • 1 large carrot cut into 1/4" slices (about a cup)
  • 1 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • (Optional) 1t miso
  • 1t chopped basil (I used frozen cubes)
  • 1/2 cup water - 3m
  • (Optional) 1/2 t lemon pepper (or black pepper)
  • (Optional) Salt to taste (I found the miso gave a sufficiently salty taste, so used no salt)
Process
  • I put the kale, leek, garlic, carrot, corn, miso, basil, and water into my Instant Pot and cooked on high pressure for 3 minutes.
  • When I was ready to serve, I slowly released remaining pressure, mixed in the lemon pepper, and served.
I also made organic brown Mekong flower rice (1 : 1 3/4 ratio rice to water - though I used more like 1 : 2 - and a vegan bouillon cube simmered for 30m). When the rice was done, I mixed in 3 ounces of tempeh cut into 3/8" cubes, a medium shallot diced into 1/4" or smaller cubes, a dozen spears of asparagus cut into 1" lengths, and a tablespoon or so of coconut aminos (one could use soy sauce instead).

Results
Dinner was good. Pressure cooking brings out such good flavor!


Ideas for the future
 
The rice seemed to become the main dish. I have always loved making dishes with various ingredients mixed in with rice, and should more consciously explore doing this more.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home