Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Baby Golden Beets over Butternut Squash, Grilled Artichoke Hearts with Seitan and Garlic (No Added Fat)

I'm excited by the idea of easily cooking squash under pressure that I described on Sunday. I thought I'd do that with a butternut squash that I purchased today.

Last May, I found that pressure cooked baby beet cut into 1/2" pieces cooked well in 4m. That sounded like a good beginning to a filling for the squash. Here is what I did:

Ingredients

  • 3 baby beets (I used golden, but red would have resulted in a nicer color to contrast with the butternut squash), peeled, and cut into 1/2" pieces
  • 4 leaves kale, stems excepted, roughly hand cut into approximately 3/4" or smaller squares
  • (Optional) I had a little bit, about 1/4 cup, of cooked butternut squash leftover from yesterday, and cut it into 3/4" squares
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup onion cut into thin 1/8" x 3/4" slices
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) fresh ground black pepper

Process
  • I put all of the ingredients except the onion, salt, and pepper into my Instant Pot  pressure cooker and cooked for 4 minutes.
  • When I was ready to serve, I slowly let out remaining pressure and mixed in the onion, salt, and pepper.
I had pressure cooked an intact butternut squash by putting it on a trivet over a cup of water in the Instant Pot and cooked under pressure steam for 8m. When I was ready to serve, I cut it in half and filled with the beet mixture. I had also made a simple sauté of grilled artichokes, seitan strips, onion, and garlic.

Results
Dinner was good! My wife thought that the butternut squash was well cooked, but I thought it could have been a bit softer. Nevertheless, we all thought it was a tasty and interesting meal. The garlic added a nice "punch" to the seitan and artichoke dish.

Ideas for the future
Next time that I try steam pressure cooking intact squash, I'll try for a 9 or 10 minute cycle. Color would have been nicer with red vs. golden beets, but I don't like red beets as much. I should experiment with a sauce, perhaps miso-based, for squash cooked with a topping like I tried today.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home