Monday, March 30, 2015

Baby Artichokes with Kale Sprouts, Leftover Vegetables and Vegan "Cheese Sauce" over Maifun Noodles (Almost No Added Fat)

My wife picked up a new kind, to us, of chard that looked a little like bok choy. I picked up today kalettes™, a newly hybridized kale sprout (a cross between kale and Brussels sprout), and decided to cook these with baby artichokes waterlessly like I described preparing artichokes on February 24. I taught two Food for Life classes yesterday and had a vegan "cheesy sauce" made with, among other ingredients, nutritional yeast and cashews, leftover, as well as some vegetables. Here is what I did:


Ingredients
  • 3/4 of a medium onion cut into approx. 1" x 1/4" half moon slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 6 baby artichokes
  • Small (maybe 1/2" thick) slice of lemon, lime, or Meyer lemon
  • 6 ounce packet of kalettes, rinsed (about 3 cups)
  • 1 small bunch of chard cut into 1" length pieces from the stems through the leaves
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) freshly ground black pepper

Process
  1. I put the onion slices into a large Saladmaster stock pot.
  2. I prepared the baby artichokes as I've described before: "I removed the tough outer layers of leaves till I got to fairly tight and lighter colored ones, cut the bottoms and a little more of the tops off, then quartered them and placed them in lime juice to avoid discoloration." However, instead of placing them in lime juice (I actually used Meyer lemon), I Instead quickly coated the cut artichokes as I generated them and put them on top of the onion.
  3. I added the kalettes, then the chard.
  4. I turned the pan on medium high and covered until I heard the vapor release rattling. I then turned the heat down and cooked on low for about 20m.
  5. I squeezed the lemon for about a teaspoon of juice, and mixed that in, as well as the salt and pepper.
I heated the leftover vegetables and sauce, and made some maifun brown rice noodles (easy to make by boiling for 3m). I served the leftover vegetables over the noodles and put a dollop of "cheese sauce" on top. Chia and hemp seeds topped some tomato slices.

Though the sauce had cashews, each serving of the sauce has less than 2g of fat, so I will call this an almost no added fat meal. It looked good and wasn't difficult to make.


Results

Dinner was good. I like kale sprouts, and this was the first time I cooked them waterlessly.

Ideas for the future

Additional seasoning like black sesame seed and maybe jerk seasoning or some herbs would have enhanced the main course.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home