Sunday, May 31, 2015

Waterless Kale, Lima Beans, and Potato, served with Jade Pearl Rice with Bok Choy (No Added Fat)

I had a great time this weekend at the NC International South Asian Film Festival. I was to babysit later tonight, so just had a few hours to cook, eat, and prepare my daughter for bed. I decided to prepare a waterless dish along with Jade pearl rice.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup onion cut into 3/8" thick half moons (I used about half of a sweet onion)
  • I Yukon gold potato halved and then cut into 1/4" slices (a bit over a cup)
  • 12 kale leaves, roughly pulled from stems and hand cut to approximatel 3/4" squares (I found that 5 leaves, compacted, filled a cup, so about 2 1/2 compressed cups)
  • (optional) 8 ounce packet of seitan strips (I had about an ounce or two of an open packet, so just used that much)
  • 1 cup baby lima beans
  • 1/8 t (or to taste) each of salt, dried oregano, and lemon pepper (or freshly ground black pepper)

Process
  1. I put the onion, potato, kale, seitan, and lima beans, in that order, into a large Saladmaster saute pan, covered, and turned the stove on medium.
  2. After a few minutes, the vapor release started rattling; I then reduced the heat to low to stop the rattling, and cooked, undisturbed, for about 20m.
  3. I stirred in the seasonings and served.
I also made some some Jade Pearl rice by sauteeing a little onion with no oil or liquid just for a minute or so, then adding a little less than a cup and two and a half times as much water, plus maybe 1/8t salt and a vegan bouillon cube. I brought to a boil and then covered and cooked on a low simmer for 20m. I mixed in about 3T of chopped (maybe 1/2" cubes) bok choy, and served.


Results

Dinner was good; I'm surprised that I don't more often do waterless cooking.

Ideas for the future

Ginger would have gone well with the main course. I could have used other greens instead of kale, like chard or maybe collards. I've not often cooked with collard greens - maybe it's time to pick some up after not having had them for a while.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home