Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Celtuce (Stem Lettuce) Saute with Seitan and Pesto (No Added Fat)

This afternoon at the farmers' market, I found a new (to me) vegetable called celtuce (also called stem lettuce). I bought two stems and the kind farmer threw in a third. It has a thick stem and upright lettuce-like leaves. The farmer said that the stems should be peeled and then the flesh was good cooked or raw; the leaves could be used but are bitter.

I thought that I would cube the vegetable and cook it briefly, then mix in seitan. Once home, I also found an article from this past December about celtuce.

I also bought some basil leaves. I found an interesting oil- and fat- free pesto recipe that I thought that I would try. Here is what I did:


Ingredients
  • 1 cup chopped (1/4") sweet (or other) onion - I used about half of a medium Vidalia onion
  • 8 ounce packet of seitan strips cut into approximately 1" x 1/4" x 1/4" slices
  • 2 stems celtuce, peeled then chopped into 3/8" cubes (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 2T coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
  • 1 1/2 cups (tightly packed) fresh basil
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Approx. 1/2 t salt (or to taste)
  • (Optional) 1T nutritional yeast

Process
  1. I put the onion into a Saladmaster (or stainless or other) saute pan and turned the stove on medium. I stirred the onion for just 2 minutes or so; the onion was still not clear but was a little cooked.
  2. I added the seitan and cooked another 2 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
  3. I added the celtuce, stirred, and cooked another 2 minutes or so, again stirring occasionally.
  4. I added the corn kernels; they were frozen, so I mixed for another 2 minutes or so until they were warmed
  5. I added the coconut aminos and rubbed with my spatula against the bottom of the pan; the little bit of seitan sticking that had happened cleaned up fairly readily.
  6. I turned the heat off, mixed in 6T of pesto (see below, which made maybe 10T), and served.
I also made pesto based on the recipe I cited above, though I used less water and added nutritional yeast.
  1. I blended the basil, garlic, bouillon cube, and water, using the pusher that comes with my Vitamix blender, starting with low and going up to 3 or 4 on the blender's scale of 10. I took no more than 10 seconds or so.
  2. I removed the pusher, added the salt and nutritional yeast, and briefly (5 seconds or so) blended on medium (4 or 5).
I also made some some Bhutanese Red rice; it calls for 1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water simmered for 20m, but I used a little more water (1 3/4 parts) and a vegan bouillon cube. A few slices of cucumber (I would have preferred tomato for both taste and color, but we didn't have any) with hemp seeds completed the meal.


Results

I was a little surprised that all three of us really liked the meal. I was "okay" with the raw celtuce but my wife and daughter found even the stem a bit too bitter. But I guess the pesto (I'm so happy to have a tasty and no-oil version!) and flavorful seitan made the dish, perhaps in spite of the celtuce.

Ideas for the future

I wonder if pressure cooking would give celtuce a stronger flavor - though perhaps also more bitterness. It may be worth pressure cooking with some sweet flavors, like citrus or pineapple.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 09, 10:46:00 AM EDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for linking to my recipe! I hope you enjoyed it!

 
At Tue Jun 09, 12:11:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Maria, your pesto recipe is a winner! Thanks for sharing it - I've used it in several meals since this one. --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home