Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Simple Potato Salad, French Filet Beans (No Added Fat)


Ingredients
  • About 20 green beans cut into 1 1/2" lengths. I used the delicate purple colored French Filet Beans (from Four Leaf Farm that I picked up just an hour or two earlier at the local farmer's market; I don't think I've had these before - they're so tender that they also taste good raw)
  • 1/8 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1/4 t lemon or lime juice
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 2T fresh basil leaves cut chiffonade style into 1/4" ribbons

Process
  1. I put the onion into a warmed cast iron pan (I preheated on medium and started the onion when a piece would lightly sizzle) with no added fat, stirred occasionally for 2 minutes, then added the beans.
  2. I cooked the beans briefly, about 2 more minutes; as expected, the purple beans started turning a bit green, and I stopped when there was just a bit of green patches.
  3. I added the lemon juice and salt, and kept warm in a toaster oven till I was ready to serve.
  4. When ready to serve, I mixed in the basil and then served.
I also made a simple potato salad out of baby fingerling potatoes that I purchased today at the farmer's market. My daughter has been asking for potato salad; I just boiled the intact tiny potatoes, then mixed in a bit of onion, dill pickle pieces, red bell pepper, salt, and black pepper. For her serving, I added some pesto Vegenaise.

Results

This was meant to be a quick dinner, and it was. I would have preferred to take a bit more time to make a more complex potato salad, but this one came out fine. The beans were good but perhaps I could cook them just barely next time - very little purple was left when I took them out of the toaster oven.

Ideas for the future

I should explore more fanciful potato salads, especially for my daughter.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home