Monday, July 28, 2014

Lemon Rice with Potato, Sambhar

We had enjoyed takeout food from a good South Indian restaurant on Saturday, and had some leftovers that I "remade" for dinner tonight. Usually, their lemon rice is quite good, but this batch was missing something. What about making a mixed vegetable dish out of it? This is what I did.

Ingredients
  • 2 medium baking or boiling potatoes (I used a heirloom variety that looked like a small Russet but was lightly tinged red that my wife picked up from the local farmer's market, but Yukon Gold or even Russets or other varieties would work well) cut into 3/8" cubes (if organic, leave skin on - otherwise, remove skin)
  • 2 cloves garlic roughly chopped into approximately 1/4" pieces
  • 1/3 cup water (I boiled first but cold water is fine)
  • Small red (or other) bell pepper cut into 3/8" cubes
  • Approximately 1/4 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • Prepared lemon rice (which we had as leftovers from a good local South Indian restaurant, Tower) - but any rice, perhaps a good brown rice made separately, would be good
Process

  1. I put the potato, garlic, and water in the Instant Pot electronic pressure cooker and set it for 4 minutes under high pressure.
  2. When I was ready, I gently released remaining pressure and put the ingredients into a Saladmaster (or other) stock pot, along with the bell pepper and onion.
  3. I sauteed, with no added fat, for a few minutes till the potato was just slightly crispy, then added the rice.
  4. I continued heating the mixture on low, stirring occasionally, till the rice was well heated, then served, along with warmed sambhar (a spicy traditional South Indian soup). 
Results

My whole family enjoyed dinner. Rice is so versatile!

Ideas for the future

I should try "remaking" other Indian restaurant leftovers.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home