Friday, July 25, 2014

Plantain with Kale and Corn, served with Jade Pearl Rice and Tempeh, and Salad with Watermelon Pico de Galla (No Added Fat)


Ingredients
  • Plantain cut into 1/2" slices then quartered
  • Medium sweet (or other) onion cut into 1/2" cubes
  • Kernels stripped from one cob of corn
  • Green tomato cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 4 kale leaves
  • 1 clove garlic diced 
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/8 t salt
  • 1/4 cup water
Process

Aside from chopping vegetables, it was a very easy dinner. I just put all the ingredients in the Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked on high pressure for 3 minutes. When I was ready to serve, I slowly let out any remaining pressure and served.

I also made jade pearl rice by sauteeing a bit of onion, ginger, and carrot in a dry pan just for a minute or so, then adding 1 part rice, 1 1/2 parts water, 3 ounces tempeh cut into 3/8" cubes, and a vegan bouillon cube. I brought to a boil then simmered on low heat, covered, for 20 minutes.

Finally, I served a salad of bell pepper and tomato. I topped it with a watermelon pico de galla that I had purchased from Whole Foods Market, as well as an olive.

Results

Dinner was good! I think that I had just the right amount of water so that the vegetables came out cooked but not watery. A little bit of heat, like jalapeno, would have been welcome, but the main course was good the way that I prepared it.

Ideas for the future

I love how versatile jade pearl rice is, and look forward to experimenting more with it. Green tomato as well as plantain cook well in the pressure cooker, and I should try new dishes with these ingredients.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home