Saturday, May 26, 2012

Red-Lentil Dhal, Stir-Fried Brown Rice Noodles, Corn-off-the-Cob

I worked for many hours with my Dad last Saturday cleaning out their house, and my wife dropped off some Indian food from the Whole Foods hot bar, including a red-lentil soup (dhal). There was enough leftover of the dhal to use in tonight's meal, my Dad's last dinner with us until he visits again.
In addition, I came up with what proved to be a very nice idea for using brown rice noodles. I soaked some noodles in hot tap water for about 20m. I cut half of a medium onion into thin half moons and started sauteeing the onion for a few minutes. While still clear, I drained the noodles and hand tore them roughly into halves, then added them a few at a time, stirring to avoid clumping. When the noodles were cooked in a few minutes, I removed the heat and added about 2 tablespoonfuls of soy aminos and 1/2 teaspoonful or so of the wonderful locally made Pluto's Caribbean Bliss jerk seasoning (I used a salt-free variety).

I served with corn-off-the-cob with Earth Balance margarine, a little bit of fresh lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of dried oregano. We all enjoyed the dinner and I was particularly pleased with the noodles. I've had problems with the noodles sticking together, but adding a little bit at a time and stirring did the trick. I'd love to try other dishes with stir-fried noodles, maybe integrating some additional vegetables.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home