Wednesday, May 16, 2012

French Green Lentils with Spinach and Eggplant served over Mixed Brown-Wild Rice

My Dad has been staying with us since April 30th and will be here for a month or two before going on to visit other relatives. Today is his birthday! For his birthday meal, I started a pot of mixed brown-wild rice cooking in a rice cooker (2:1 ratio water to rice, one vegan bouillon cube, "semi-brown" setting).

In a stainless steel pan, I heated a little bit of olive oil over medium heat and added a half onion, cut into 1/4" pieces. I cooked the onion for about 3m until just starting to carmelize and turn brown. Then I added a little bit of eggplant that I had left from a few days ago (maybe a fifth of an eggplant, which I cut into 1/2" cubes), cooked a minute or two (and added a little bit more oil, as eggplant soaks up oil), then added about 3 ounces of baby spinach leaves and cooked them down for about 2m.

I added a pinch or two of cumin seeds, stirred and cooked for a half minute, then added half of a beefsteak tomato, cut into 3/8" or so cubes. I cooked another minute or so, then added about a half cup of French green lentils and three times as much water, plus 1/2 t garam masala spice mixture. I brought it to a boil then cooked, covered, on low heat, simmering for 40m.

I normally would have liked to have put some jalapeno pepper in the main course - perhaps a quarter jalapeno chopped into maybe 1/4"x1/2" pieces added to the saute when I added the spinach. However, I've been reducing or eliminating hot peppers so that my toddler will eat the food. I have been adding some cut pieces of jalapeno to my Dad's plate, and, today, added some hot sauce to my wife and my lentils.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home