Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Whole Fingerling Potatoes w Green Elephant Garlic and Zucchini, served with Thin Rice Noodles

My wife and daughter came back today and had a great time in Washington, D.C.! We received green elephant garlic in our online farmer's market delivery today and I thought I'd cook with it tonight for their first meal back.

I put about a dozen Russian Banana fingerling potatoes into a saute pan over medium-high heat and cooked, stirring occasionally. When the potatoes showed signs of getting cooked (I gently pressed a knife in, waiting till I could get it easily about a third of the way in, about 10 minutes), I put in a third of a package of tempeh, cut into 1/2" cubes. I cooked another 5 minutes or so till the tempeh started browning.

Then, I added one stalk of the garlic. The garlic was like a thin leek and, like the leek, needed to first be cleaned thoroughly to remove any grit or dirt stuck between the leaves. I washed carefully, removing the very bottom root and perhaps the top fifth (any hardened green area). I then cut the whole garlic, green and white, into slices about 1/2" thick. I put the slices in a bowl of water and cleaned again, rinsing with water several times.

Once the garlic was in, I gave it two minutes or so to cook, then added a zucchini cut into 1/2" slices. A minute later, I added a third of a red bell pepper, cut into maybe 1/4" x 3/4" slices. I cooked another two minutes, added a small number (dozen?) of pine nuts, and cooked just another minute or so, minding that the nuts didn't get any more cooked then a slight hint of brown.

I added several splashes of a mild vinegar-based hot sauce and a little bit of coconut aminos, as well as a few pinches of lemon pepper and oregano, and served. I had put a little bit of thin rice noodles in hot water; I drained and served, with a little bit of jerk seasoning and toasted hemp seeds. Avocado and mixed salad greens completed the meal - it was good, with the main course coming out better than I had hoped for!




We typically visit the Sticky Fingers Bakery, a great all-vegan place that makes the most awesome sticky cinnamon buns, on our trips to Washington, DC. Thankfully, my wife and daughter stopped today and brought a variety of treats, including the buns. We shared tonight a peanut butter concoction with some chocolate on the top and bottom - it was good, but I can't wait to dig into the first bun tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home