Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Breaded Jerk Tempeh with Coconut Milk, Baby Red Beet "Greens" ("Reds"?) and Roots

Today we received our box from our "online farmer's market", Papa Spud's, and it included baby red beets with greens (which are even more nutritious than the roots!) intact, as well as green beans (and avocados, kale, tomatoes, and strawberries). I decided to use the beets and most of the beans today, plus one of the tomatoes.


Like I described in March 2007 and again in July 2008, I made a steamed beet dish. I simply cut the very bottom and very top from the beet roots, cut the roots in half, and put in a vegetable steamer for 25 minutes. About 5-6 minutes later, I started beans, with the very ends cut off, in the steamer so they would steam for about 20 minutes. In the last 5 minutes, I put in the beet greens (well, they were a deep red color, so -- "reds"?!). I served with just a little salt.


For the main dish, I cut up pieces of tempeh and dipped each piece into a bowl of liquid jerk seasoning, then dredged in bread crumbs. I started sauteeing, and a few minutes later added thin half moon slices of red onion, also dipped and dredged. When the tempeh was crispy and brown, I drizzled in three tablespoons or so of canned coconut milk. We both liked dinner (my daughter had already eaten)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home