Friday, March 23, 2007

Baby Golden Beets, Tempeh with Bok Choy

Today I was cycling and stopped by Whole Foods Market, looking for a few very small items that I could easily bring back on my bike. I found that they had baby golden beets, which I've not seen before! I made a simple but filling dinner.

I cut the baby beet roots and put them in a steamer for about 20 minutes (but might try 25-30 minutes next time); 5 minutes before they were done, I put in the beet greens, which quickly cooked. I simply served with just a little salt.

I cut up some tempeh into medium-small cubes and sauteed till brown, about 6-8 minutes. Then I added some chopped baby bok choy and sauteed another minute or so. I removed from the heat and added a little bit of soy sauce. I served it over brown basmati rice that I had cooked in water with an added vegan bouillon cube.

2 Comments:

At Sat Mar 24, 03:06:00 AM EDT, Blogger KleoPatra said...

That is a GREAT meal, Dilip!!

 
At Sat Mar 24, 03:09:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, KleoPatra. I was happy to run across baby beets. As you can see, I have recently enjoyed cooking with golden beets, and finding baby golden beets was exciting. They weren't so expensive, either - a bunch of 4 for $1.50.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home