Saturday, October 31, 2009

Creamy Broccoli Soup with Corn and Zucchini, Potato-Onion Bread, Roasted Chestnuts

We had a fun time taking our daughter out for her first time trick or treating tonight. By the time we were done and had taken pictures, it was 9:30p. So, I wanted to make something quick.

I took a dozen or so chestnuts, cut "X"s into them, and popped them in the toaster oven for about a half hour at 425°F. While they were cooking, I chopped two small zucchinis as well as two small parsnips each into quarter-inch pieces, and a large shallot into half-moon slices. I had some corn handy, and used kernels from one cob.

I bought a carton of Imagine brand creamy broccoli soup and used it as a base for a hearty soup. In a soup pan, I added maybe a tablespoonful of extra virgin olive oil and started sauteeing the shallot over medium heat. As the shallot started clearing, after just a minute or minute and a half, I added the zucchini and cooked for another minute, then added the parsnip.

A minute later, I added the soup, brought to a boil, then added the corn and a few rosemary needles and cooked, simmering, at reduced heat until the chestnuts were ready. I added a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, and served with some delicious fresh potato-onion bread. Happy Halloween!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home