Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hearty Shiitake-Tempeh Saute, Sweet Onion Marmalade on La Miche Bread

I found some nice, thick, large shiitake mushrooms in the grocery store, reminding me of the (rare) flushes of shiitakes we get on our shiitake log. I started a simple saute with 1/3 package tempeh cut into maybe 1/4" to 1/2" cubes, and a medium shallot, diced to 1/4" cubes. I wanted the tempeh to be crunchy, so let it saute over medium heat for perhaps five or six minutes.

Then, I added about eight large shiitakes, sliced thickly. Once the mushrooms cooked down a bit, after perhaps 3 or 4 minutes, I added about a dozen leaves of baby spinach and cooked another minute or two. I mixed in some salt, fresh rosemary and fresh lemon sage from my garden, and coarsely ground black pepper.

At A Southern Season gourmet store a few days back, I found an interesting British sweet onion marmalade. I heated a slice of La Miche bread and spread the onion atop; it was pretty good but not memorable. But the dinner was good and surprisingly filling!

By the way, I received my first comment on the blog from a reader of Our State magazine who had seen my article in the November issue. I can't wait to see the article!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home