Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Leftover Italian Lemon Potatoes

Last Wednesday when we went out to Cafe Trilussa in Chapel Hill, I enjoyed a nice Italian potato dish that the chef-owner Giovanni made for us. He described making it by cutting a special kind of potato that he buys at area Mexican grocery stores into thick strips, boiling (or did he cut after boiling?), and then briefly cooking in oil with pieces of lemon, serving with capers. Not only did we bring leftovers home, that was the basis of tonight's dinner, but Giovanni gave me several large potatoes (so I could make the dish) which looked like the Yukon Gold variety, but he assured me they weren't.

I served the leftovers with a simple tempeh and garlic saute, adding soy sauce when the tempeh was nicely browned. A salad of carrots (I recently learned that baby carrots are usually full-sized carrots cut up!) and radishes rounded out the meal.

I have a lighter teaching schedule in May with few classes scheduled. There probably won't be as many nights eating out. By the way, June 6th marks the fifth year I will have known my wife - and still no repeat dinners that I've cooked for her!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home