Sunday, May 03, 2009

Kale with Vegan Chipotle Sausage, Corn-off-the-Cob

I had some kale and decided to make a dish, preparing the kale similarly to how I have in the past. I started sauteeing, in a tall sauce pan, a small sweet onion, diced into medium 3/8" cubes. A few minutes later, I added about a dozen baby carrots, halved. As in the past, I hand tore the stems from the kale leaves and cut them into 3/4" lengths, which I added as well. I cut a spicy vegan Mexican Chipotle sausage by the Field Roast Grain Meat Company into half lengthwise, then into approximately 1/2" chunks, and added that to the pan.

Once the onion was just browning and the other ingredients seemed cook, I added water, leaving space for the kale leaves, and brought to a boil for 5 minutes; I would have added a cube of vegan bouillon, but I was out. Also, I had forgotten, but I usually like to add a little cumin in the last minute before adding water.

I then hand tore the kale leaves into approximately 1-inch squares, added to the pan, and cooked another 5 minutes or so. I drained the broth and served a cup of it to my wife, who enjoyed it, and saved the remainder (maybe 2/3 a cup) for use in cooking this week. I mixed in some salt and tarragon to the kale dish.

I served this with three ears of fresh corn-off-the-cob; I grilled on the open flame of my gas stove, stripped the kernels, then mixed in Earth Balance margarine, salt, and fresh lemon juice. Tasty pea pods completed the meal.

We had visitors yesterday from Atlanta and it got late. I was planning on making a kale risotto for them, but my wife was hungry and it was a great opportunity to introduce the couple to Ethiopian food, which they had never had. We ate at Queen of Sheba in Chapel Hill - the food, as usual, was very good, and they loved it!

3 Comments:

At Mon May 04, 06:34:00 PM EDT, Blogger Rose said...

What a delicious sounding meal! Your wife must be the luckiest woman alive for you to cook for her every night.

 
At Thu May 28, 03:34:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Paulina! We do eat out once in a while, too. Thanks for your kind words! --Dilip

 
At Sun Aug 16, 02:33:00 PM EDT, Blogger Beverly E said...

Thanks for this blog! I used the Field Grain chipotle sausage in a dish I made yesterday and I had forgotten the name of the company that made the sausage! Your blog was where I found it in my search, so thank you! Check out my recipe from yesterday at notesfrombev.blogspot.com.

Keep up your great work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home