Saturday, September 06, 2008

French Filet Beans and Fingerling Potatoes, Corn off the Cob, Armenian Cucumber

I had some thin Filet Beans (also known as Haricot Verts) from my visit to the farmer's market last weekend (ever since my return from Europe, I've been keeping an early schedule; I was at the market as I recall around 8a!), and some small fingerling potatoes from the all-organic produce section of Tidal Creek Coop. I cut the potatoes into diagonal halves and boiled them for about eight minutes or so till a fork could just pierce them with gentle pressure, then added the beans (first cutting a bit off of both ends). I cooked for just about two more minutes till the beans were done, then drained the pan and mixed in a little bit of salt, black pepper, and dill, as well as a few teaspoons of Earth Balance margarine and a small organic shallot. It was a very good dish!

Also at the farmer's market last weekend, I found the Armenian cucumber. Also known as a snake melon or snake cucumber, it is nicely crisp with soft seeds, and is supposed to be one of the best slicing cucumbers. I sliced the cucumber that I bought and served it - it was indeed good. I also grilled three ears of white and yellow organic corn on the gas range's open flame and served it, stripped, with a little hot pepper, salt, Earth Balance margarine, and some fresh lime juice.

Yesterday was the last (of four 2-hour sessions) class of my new Lightroom class. A student joined my wife and me to eat at Tallula's, a Turkish restaurant. We need to eat here more often - we loved the food! I remember their warmed hummus - indeed, that was excellent (some of the best hummus I've had), as was the rest of their mixed vegan appetizers and two main course plates we shared with everything from baby eggplants to a baby okra stew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home