Saturday, March 15, 2008

Spaghetti Squash with Vegan Sausage and Pesto, Chard with Summer Squash and Broccoli

I had an interest in cooking a spaghetti squash and also wanted to use up some chard. I patterned the two dishes against similar dishes that I had prepared before.

I made the spaghetti squash similarly to how I had it made last February, but I sauteed a Field Roast Grain Meat Company apple-sage artisanal vegan sausage, sliced into thin pieces along with a little bit (less than a fifth) of a yellow onion, coarsely chopped. I let it cook till the sausage was browned, then added a dozen or so pine nuts, and cooked just a minute or so till the nuts barely started browning. I removed from the heat and mixed in a little over two teaspoons of homemade pesto sauce (using up all that I had left - I'll have to buy some vegan pesto soon).

Once the spaghetti squash was done, I mixed the sausage-onion-pesto into it and served. For the chard, I made something similar to the rainbow chard that I had made in June 2006, but I used crookneck squash and broccoli near the end, instead of the bell pepper that I had used before.

By the way, after dinner my wife and I screened three more films that will be shown at Full Frame - Lakshmi and Me about a filmmaker in India who documents the life of her maid;
Daughters of Wisdom, a peek into the lives of nuns at a Tibetan monastery; and Holding Fast, a short visual essay about a Tibetan refugee camp in Darjeeling, India. I can't wait for the Festival!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home