Monday, March 17, 2008

Lemon Hummus and Sprouts Sandwich, Sicilian Caponata, Corn-off-the-Cob

Tonight's was a fairly simple but remarkably fast dinner. I worked in the garden till right around sunset. We were low on many groceries, so went out to shop. It was getting late and my wife was hungry, so I needed to get dinner on the table fast - I did so in about a half hour!

At Trader Joe's tonight, I picked up some Sicilian Caponata and was able to simply serve it out of the bottle with no additional preparation. (Caponata is an eggplant-based appetizer; it sometimes contains anchovies, but this one was vegan.) I roasted some corn over the open flame of my gas range, stripped the kernels, and mixed in Earth Balance margarine, fresh lime juice, salt, and red chili powder. I also lightly toasted some whole wheat sour dough bread and served it with (purchased) lemon hummus and home-grown mung bean sprouts. Along with the heirloom tomato slices, radish, and lettuces, it was a simple but tasty and filling meal!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home