Thursday, January 17, 2008

Spanish Saffron Trenette with Garlic-Basil Tomato Sauce and Tempeh, Tuscan-Style Green Beans, Handmade Spanish Artisinal Cracker


While I was exercising in the late afternoon, I was getting hungry and remembering that meal that I prepared a few Saturdays ago with the Spanish Saffron Trenette (linguine) that a friend sent from Seattle from Pappardelle’s. So tonight I finished off my supply and will have to ask for more!

I gently brought to a simmer some Rising Moon Organics garlic-basil tomato sauce, along with about a quarter package of finely diced tempeh and a little bit (maybe a sixth or less) of red onion, chopped into 1/4" or so pieces. I let it simmer on low heat while I prepared the rest of the dishes.

I cooked the lovely pasta in gently boiling water. (By the way, I saw an interesting transparent thermal vertical container a day or two ago at JC Penney's store; it was a pasta cooker and the claim was that it made excellent pasta just by pouring boiling water in, covering it, then straining it when done. Pasta should be cooked with a low boil, but I didn't realize that turning the heat off could work well, too. I wonder if I should try this new kitchen accessory!) I also cooked some green beans in the Tuscan style, gently sauteeing just for a few minutes (in walnut oil which I need to use up, not olive oil), then mixing in with fresh lemon juice, salt, and pepper.

I also served my wife and I each an original flavor of Spanish artisinal Valencianos E.V. Olive Oil Cracker. I have purchased these (but I think with sunflower seeds?) before; the website describes them as "artisinal crackers from Valencia made BY HAND in three delicious flavors. Pere, his wife and another two women hand fashion these elongated 'saladitos' as they are known in Valencia. Light, crunch, irresistible." It was good.

Dinner was nice! I liked the trenette with pesto that I had prepared last time even more - I have to keep on trying new things with this winning line of Pappardelle’s pastas!

Tomorrow I teach (both in the morning and evening). We'll be eating out probably in Carrboro or Chapel Hill (NC), along with a friend and any students who want to join us.

3 Comments:

At Sat Apr 11, 11:20:00 AM EDT, Blogger Priya A said...

This is really an awesome resource that you are contributing to your readers for free. I always love to visit the blogs that provide quality info for free. I appreciate it Thank you, thank you so much! You can visit this blog below too if you wish:
-

Cheers!

 
At Sat Apr 11, 04:34:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At Sat Apr 11, 04:35:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Priya! The spice guide you shared looks colorful and quite interesting - thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home