Monday, January 21, 2008

Scrambled Polenta and Vegan Sausage with Pesto, Brussels Sprouts, Local Artisanal Rosemary-Garlic Flatbread

Today, my wife and I loved a dish that I came up with that was really fairly easy to make. I simply sauteed small chunks of polenta, red onion, Field Roast Grain Meat Company apple-sage artisanal vegan sausage, adding a little bit of rosemary shortly before serving. I put a tablespoon of homemade pesto sauce on top. I also quickly cooked in a little bit of oil some halved Brussels Sprouts.

There is a new local company, I believe in Hillsborough, NC, called The Accidental Baker, and I found at Weaver Street Market that they have their enticing flatbreads. I purchased their garlic-rosemary, which I served with the meal - it was good, nice and crispy, but actually a bit bitter I think due to there being perhaps a bit too much rosemary. I'm anxious to try their plain garlic flavor.

By the way, I also discovered at the coop these neat traditional Greek cookies, all vegan and using olive oil, from a company named Sitian Mill using traditional recipes from the Kalabokis family. I purchased their walnut cookies; they were quite good, and not too sweet. I look forward to trying the other cookies in this line!

Yesterday, we went out to downtown Raleigh for the 3rd annual Neuse River Riverkeeper film festival with a variety of films related to water; we stopped for a brief dinner at Whole Foods enroute. On Friday, I had a meeting much of the day for the infant bereavement photography group that I volunteer with, and we went contra dancing in the evening. I heated half of the extra pizza left from Lilly's Pizza (with Veganrella vegan cheese) from last weekend, and Sangeeta heated some leftovers for herself. On Thursday night after my photography class, we introduced a student, her boyfriend, and a friend of ours to Sage Cafe; everybody took my high praise for their signature pomegranate reduction with tempeh dish, and that's what we all got!

5 Comments:

At Mon Jan 21, 08:48:00 AM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scrambled polenta is a very interesting idea! I was eating some polenta last night and thinking how much it could be an omelette! Looks good. =)

 
At Mon Jan 21, 06:00:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for your kind comment. We loved the dish!

 
At Mon Feb 04, 09:46:00 AM EST, Blogger Anardana said...

What a lovely blog! I will be returning often!

 
At Tue Feb 05, 01:07:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, anardana, for your kind comment - and I also enjoyed peeking at your blog. By the way, anardana in Hindi means kernels of pomegranate, but you probably knew that. Best wishes! --Dilip

 
At Wed May 09, 12:08:00 AM EDT, Blogger Unknown said...

what great post..

i feel hungry after reading this article..
and seeing the image makes me hungry..


Neuse River North Carolina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home