Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Deep-dish Chunky Vegan Sausage Pizza, Pan-Roasted Austrian Crescent Fingerling Potatoes

We have a good friend who drove from Ohio today to spend a few days with us and enjoy our Thanksgiving. Like I did a couple of weeks ago, I used Vicolo Pizza organic cornmeal crust pizza shell to make deep-dish pizza. Last week, I came up with the idea of mixing grilled chunks of vegan Field Roast Grain Meat Company apple-sage artisanal sausage into a thick sauce. I did that with two sausages as well as a medium onion that I had cut into half moons, and mixed them into a small 6-ounce can of organic tomato paste and about half of a 24-ounce bottle of Newman's Own Sockarooni Sauce.

Raffle prizes are rolling in, and today I received 4 cases of Monterey Farms "Artihearts", a product which I discovered in late September. The kind owner asked me to keep one packet of each flavor to try, and I used about half of a packet of the "Buffalo" variety in the sauce. I also mixed in a little salt and fresh oregano leaves from my garden.

On one pizza, I also dabbed on portions of the Scottish cheddar-style cream "sheese". I baked the two pizzas at 425°F for about 15m, turning them halfway through. I put heirloom tomato slices and a dab of pesto on the "sheese"-less pizza before serving it. I also pan-roasted fingerling potatoes with a medium shallot, rosemary, dill weed, salt, and pepper, and served raw purple cauliflower.

It was a good dinner - the vegan sausage was a nice touch in the pizza. We're glad to have our friend visiting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home