Friday, March 09, 2007

Limed Golden Beet and Seitan

We loved the golden beets that I've made twice, especially the dish with Brussels sprouts from a few weeks ago. I purchased golden beets yesterday and decided to try a variation on that dish.

Like I did last week, I trimmed off the tops and bottoms of the beet roots then steamed the roots for about 40 minutes. After a few minutes when they cooled a bit, I put each in turn under cool water (to make it easier to handle) in a bowl and rubbed the skin off, then cut it into chunks that were about 1" long and 1/2" in width and depth.

In the meantime, I sauteed large chunks of seitan and onion for about 10 minutes till the seitan was nicely brown, maybe 10 minutes over medium-high heat. I roughly chopped the beet greens into thirds and added them to the saute for about two minutes, then added the chopped beet roots, as well as about a tablespoon of chopped rosemary needles, a little Baja Lime marinade (I've been using this a lot recently - it's yummy!), salt, and freshly ground pepper, and stirred for just a minute before serving.

I served the beet dish with mashed potatoes. It came out well - we really enjoyed it! But I think the Brussels sprouts from a few weeks ago was even better. I love how they don't seem to so readily stain, like red beets do.

By the way, as I mentioned recently, we found Living Harvest brand Hempmilkā„¢ made from hemp seeds and we both continue to love it! All the flavors - regular, vanilla, and (what I drank with dinner tonight) chocolate are amazing - creamy and tasty, and very nutritious. If this hits the market so that people can easily find it, I think that soy- and rice- "milk"s will be in danger of losing a lot of sales volume!

2 Comments:

At Mon Mar 12, 03:33:00 AM EDT, Blogger KleoPatra said...

OOOOOOOOOOH. Can i just say that look SO great?!!? All of it!

 
At Mon Mar 12, 03:44:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, KleoPatra. I am so happy to be cooking with relatively stainless yellow beets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home