Friday, March 02, 2007

Limed Sauteed Fingerling Potatoes with Seitan and Asparagus

Tonight, I put a dinner together with seitan, fingerling potatoes, asparagus, shiitake mushrooms, and orange bell pepper. I sauteed the potatoes cut into large pieces (roughly, halved), half of a large onion diced into maybe 1/4" cubes, and seitan cut coarsely into large chunks (maybe 1/2" - 3/4" in size) for about 15 minutes. Then I added the rest of the vegetables and half of a jalapeno pepper, finely diced, for another 15 minutes. I seasoned with a little (maybe four tablespoons?) Baja Lime marinade, salt, and black pepper. I served with ramen noodles and garlic gold nuggets.

Yesterday after class, our friends visiting from California joined us for a last meal on this trip (we have enjoyed spending time with them and are sad that they are leaving - it's unlikely they'll return on business, though we hope that they'll come just for fun) as they're leaving early tomorrow morning. One of my photography students and her husband made us a delightful party of six, and we ate at Sage Vegetarian Restaurant, where I ordered what I usually get, their Faisanjan Persian pomegranate stew (a reduction with tempeh) over brown rice.

I'm attending sessions at the annual conference of Professional Photographers of North Carolina tomorrow through Wednesday. Tomorrow in particular is a great all-day session with Hanson Fong and John Woodward on lighting and posing - then planning on attending an 8p South African dance performance at Duke University, so we'll probably eat out at least tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At Sat Mar 03, 01:46:00 PM EST, Blogger Mittens said...

Hi there,

I have been reading and enjoying your blog for quite some now! I just have a quick question for you regarding seitan. How do you prepare it...I am always looking for new ways to prep seitan,

Any info would be appreciated!
Thanx
A

 
At Sat Mar 03, 08:42:00 PM EST, Blogger bazu said...

That looks great!

I love fesenjan and I have yet to make a vegan version of it!

 
At Sun Mar 04, 06:29:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Hi, mittens - thanks for your comment. I'm glad that you found my blog! I have prepared seitan from scratch - see, for example, http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vjseitan.htm . But I find that the prepared seitan (I like the blue boxed seitan from White Wave) is tasty and easier to use as a starting point. I hope that you will continue to enjoy my blog!

 
At Sun Mar 04, 06:30:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Hi bazu - yes, the stew at the restaurant is quite rich and tasty. I hope to try to make it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home