Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tempeh-Vegetable Rice, Spring Rolls

When we ate at an Indian restaurant last Tuesday, we brought home leftovers, including white basmati rice. I sauteed some tempeh and onion and, added a few minutes later, some asparagus cut into maybe 1" lengths. When the tempeh was nicely browned, I mixed in the leftover rice and cooked just another minute or two till the rice was heated. I transferred the items to a bowl and mixed in a little bit of soy sauce, just a little fresh squeezed lemon juice, and some salt.

Today, I had purchased some frozen Ling Ling brand mini spring rolls and I included them in the dinner. They were easy to prepare (I just put them in the toaster oven for around ten minutes).

Dinner turned out to be quite tasty. I'll try making similar dishes with rice mixed in, and will buy more of these spring rolls.

I didn't do any cooking over the weekend. On Saturday, we had a nice vegetarian society potluck dinner at a member's elegant Cary, NC home; it was a nice, all-vegan spread, and we had maybe 15-20 in attendance. We brought a decadent vegan chocolate cake from Weaver Street Market. I was looking forward to making dinner yesterday, but my Mom called and said that she was making her delicious homemade pizza, so we ate there and then headed to an Oscar night viewing party at a movie theatre (and were so disappointed that Deepa Mehta's Water didn't get an Oscar!).

I'm not sure what we'll do tomorrow; I'm taking a seminar from 6-9p so will have to either eat very early or late. I might make a simple early dinner - my wife said she can heat some leftovers for herself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home