Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sprouting kale with leftover South Indian food

On Saturday, I visited a local farmer's market and bought some very nice produce, including "sprouting kale" greens, something I've not had before. I also bought green garlic and sauteed that with bell peppers and onions, along with the sprouting kale. We had some leftovers from my wife's South Indian dinner that evening, so reheated the spicy sambar soup, steamed rice-lentil cakes (idlis), and the lentil vadas. The salad was derived from the farmer's market - radishes atop the best mesclun mix of salad greens I've ever had.

As I mentioned, my wife made a nice South Indian dinner on Saturday - in addition to the idli, vada, and (very nice!) sambar, she made dosas, spicy potatoes in a lentil-rice crepe, one of my favorite dishes. Yesterday, I hosted and judged a photo competition at Cafe Parizade where we have our annual Thanksgiving. The food was delicious - the menu I put together included, for appetizers:
· Grilled flat breads with roasted red pepper and eggplant spreads
· Lentil-brown/wild rice cakes with lemon tahini
· Celery and carrot sticks with hummus

Main Courses:
· Avocado salad and/or Artichoke salad
· Spicy grilled polenta with spinach and pesto
· Hearty exotic mushroom filo pie with fennel, wheat gluten, and spring onion confit
· Baked eggplant stuffed with sauted tempeh and Himalayan Red Rice or other attractive and tasty whole grain rice
· Basil-roasted garlic whipped potatoes and mushroom-onion gravy
· Spring barley risotto with herbs and asparagus
· Gazpacho soup
Desserts:
· Fresh seasonal fruits
· Phyllo cookies
· Biscotti - Double chocolate-cherry and lemon-currant

It was great!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home