Sunday, April 16, 2006

Sauteed fresh spinach with tempeh

It seems like a long time since I've had the pleasure of cooking! I helped to organize the visit of Harold Brown, outreach coordinator of Farm Sanctuary, and we had a potluck dinner for him last night. The night before, I put together an informal and very yummy dinner at Cafe Parizäde (where we have our annual Thanksgiving feast) for him. And on Thursday night I teach, so my wife and I ate out (this time with Harold at a Middle Eastern restaurant).

Yesterday I bought some lovely fresh spinach and green garlic at a local farmer's market; I used the spinach to create a dish for the potluck dinner. Tonight, I made a similar dish by sauteing the green garlic, tempeh, and some slivered onion with the remaining spinach. I also used pine nuts and a variety of spices like mustard seed, Key Lime seasoning, and vegan Parma!, as well as soy sauce and a Caribbean hot sauce. Today is Easter, so it seemed fitting to include some Easter Egg radishes (also from the farmer's market) with the meal. I love quinoa, and it is a "perfect food" whose nutritional profile closely matches what we need - it's been too long since I've made it, and tonight I made it in vegetable broth and with turmeric, and served it with nira grass. Tasty Doctor Kracker organic 3-seed flatbread and tomato slices rounded out the meal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home