Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Brown rice and lentils

Tonight we had organic short brown rice with lentils that I served with lime relish. On the side, I made what years ago used to be one of my favorite snacks - whole-grained toasted bread with tahini, hot sauce, a little thinly sliced onions, and optionally tomato. There's something funny I've found about avocadoes - I prefer to buy organic whenever possible, but have had a number of cases where organic avocadoes either were blackened and fibrous inside, or just weren't so tasty. Unfortunately, I have generally found those grown "conventionally" (a poor term, as traditional farming before WWII was organic, but at least in the U.S., I guess chemical-based agriculture is now the conventional norm, alas) to taste better. Today's avocado was organic and looked quite nice, but was watery and not particularly tasty.

2 Comments:

At Tue Apr 18, 11:35:00 PM EDT, Blogger A woman from India said...

I suspect that the conventional avocados are genetically modified to be more creamy and firm. I would stick to the organic - what do you think?

 
At Sat Apr 22, 01:31:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Good point - I guess that's possible but hope not! I can try to look into this. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home