Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Two Dinners: Green Split Pea Dhal, Pizza/Madagascar Pink Rice with Tomato, Kale/Massaged Kale Salad (No Added Fat)















Today I served two dinners! My wife has three cousins who were arriving in the late evening for a Thanksgiving weekend visit. My daughter was hungry and I made a simple pizza (vegan cheese on her half) early dinner, along with a nice dhal. I put one part of green split peas and three parts of water, as usual, into my Instant Pot pressure cooker, as well as some garlic, thickly (1/2" or so) sliced carrot, and maybe 1" roughly hand-torn kale leaves, cooked for 8 minutes, then added a little lemon juice, ground cumin, and salt. I served this with a raw kale salad; everything was good!

Later, I made a similar dhal, but included jalapeno, ginger, and green beans, as well as, when the dish was done, some chili powder and black salt (kala namak). I also made Madagascar pink rice, cooked with diced tomato. I demonstrated then served a massaged kale salad with a slice of watermelon radish. Everybody seemed to enjoy the meal.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Fri Nov 27, 04:16:00 PM EST, Blogger EC said...

I have loved seeing your dinners over the years!

I was wondering how you make your kale salads with no added fat? I've only seen kale salads massaged with olive oil-based dressings.

 
At Sat Nov 28, 10:55:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for your kind words, EC. When I make massaged kale salads, I just massage with salt and lemon juice - it comes out so fresh and tasty!

 
At Tue Dec 01, 05:01:00 AM EST, Blogger Kristine Abat said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe in this blog post. Having a pressure cooker at home is a great help, isn’t it? And wow, you were able to cook two dinners! That is amazing!

 
At Wed Dec 02, 02:48:00 AM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Kristine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home