Thursday, June 21, 2007

Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls, Tempeh-Shiitake Mushroom Stir Fry with Rice Noodles

As I had mentioned in early June, my friend Puja had sent me some Vietnamese rice paper (banh tranh) rolls. That was so kind of her and, using her ideas as a base, I tried working with them for the first time today and served them alongside a simple tempeh - shiitake mushroom stir fry with rice noodles.

These rice paper sheets come in very thin circles. I first had all the fillings ready; I grated carrot, cucumber, and crookneck squash and laid out some mint leaves. I also prepared rice noodles by putting them in boiling water for a few minutes till they were cooked (I reserved some for the stir fry).

Then, I simply took each rice paper disc and put it in a large bowl of hot tap water. I kept it in just till it was soft and pliable, maybe 5-10 seconds (much longer and it seemed like it would disintegrate or at least readily rip). Then I simply added the vegetables, mint leaves, and rice noodles and folded the paper down. I purchased an imported Indonesian peanut satay dip, and served that in a bowl for us to dip the rolls into. We loved them! I can't wait to experiment with more ways of preparing them - perhaps with some avocado?!

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 26, 12:31:00 AM EDT, Blogger मन कस्तुरी रे.. said...

How did you manage to wrap the veggies in so thin paper rolls, Dilip? Don't they tear?
And how do you heat them up?
This seems altogether new thing.

Ashwini

 
At Tue Jun 26, 02:58:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Hi, Ashwini! How have you been? Sorry that I didn't get a chance the last few days to describe the dinners, but just added this writeup. They do tear if you're not careful! They're served cold. We've enjoyed such spring rolls in Thai restaurants (when we can ensure that they won't add fish sauce), but this was a happy first for me! Thanks for your comment. Best wishes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home