Sunday, June 03, 2007

Vegan Field Roast with Potato-Parsnip Velouté, Limed Jerk Baby Turnips

It took us all afternoon and into the evening to get our new tandem put together (I took some pictures for the manufacturer to help guide us - you can see the images online) and before we knew it, after a fun quick initial trial ride, it was 9p and my wife was very hungry. I heated Field Roast "Grain Meat" Company's handmade stuffed (with apples, squash, and mushrooms) Celebration Roast; how relevant this turned out to be, as the first time I had tried it was about a year ago, the night before our annual rose show, and today was the 2007 show, which I didn't attend as there was no official arrangement competition). In hindsight it could have looked prettier, but I heated up leftover Potato-Parsnip Velouté and used it as a gravy.

I also tried cooking with baby turnips for the first time. I simple halved them and boiled them for just 4 or 5 minutes till they were a bit soft. Then I mixed in a little Baja Lime marinade, salt, Caribbean Bliss seasoning, and fresh oregano. It tasted interesting and was reasonably good.

I was delighted, by the way, to get a very nice gift in the mail from my blogger friend Puja who says she follows my blog. She sent me rice paper spring rolls along with some recipe ideas. (Thanks, Puja!!) I hope to experiment with them in the coming days.

2 Comments:

At Sun Jun 03, 06:40:00 PM EDT, Blogger urban vegan said...

my omni husband would especially love this

 
At Sun Jun 03, 10:05:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

My wife and I don't usually like food that looks like meat, but the Field Roast products are a definite exception! Thanks for visiting, urban vegan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home