Saturday, June 16, 2007

Brussels Sprouts with Crunchy Seitan, Leftovers

Tonight we were going to an outdoor film (the 2006 film version of E.B. White's famous Charlotte's Web - what a nice vegetarian message!) and I didn't have much time, after having to drop a friend off at the airport. Luckily, it wasn't a problem, as I remembered that we had some leftovers, including pasta from when we ate out at Panzanella restaurant this past weekend.

In addition to heating (in the oven; we don't use our microwave) the leftovers, I made what turned out to be a decent dish. I chopped about a third of a box of seitan into small chunks and began sauteeing them in a cast iron pan over medium heat with a little canola oil. I wanted the seitan to get crispy, so I let it go for about 5 minutes or so. Then I added an onion that I had also cubed into small pieces. About 5 minutes later, I added halved Brussels sprouts and a little spicy "Mongolian Fire Oil". Maybe 5 minutes later it was done, with the sprouts getting slightly browned; I added coarsely chopped fresh basil (maybe a half dozen leaves), and a little fresh oregano, as well as a little salt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home