Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Split-Pea Eggplant 'Paradise' with Fregola Sarda, Toast with Garlic and Herb 'Sheese' Spread


We had eaten at Sage Vegetarian Cafe last Thursday after my photography class and had some of my wife's leftover Persian "Eggplant Paradise" stew, made with split peas, saffron basmati rice and spices. I wondered how it would taste thickened with Fregola Sarda (Sardinian Couscous) pasta. I cooked the pasta in water (I could have cooked it in broth), drained, and mixed in the cold eggplant, then gently warmed the combination, while adding 3 cloves of chopped marinated garlic, maybe 1/4 teaspoon of paprika, and a little salt. It came out great!


I also opened up another one of the "Sheese" Scottish vegan cheese spreads that is labeled as similar to cream cheese. It was very tasty and creamy! I served it atop toast; my wife avoids soy products except tempeh, so I put the Eastern European pinjur spread on hers.

2 Comments:

At Wed Jun 20, 07:51:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yum! i will love to eat this meal!

 
At Wed Jun 20, 11:55:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Johanna3. It turned out pretty well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home