Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Italian Cooking Class: Eggplant Saute, Orzo, Panzanella, Polenta (and Blueberry Crisp)


We had a very nice cooking class tonight and sat down to eat by 8:20p, so it took my students only about two hours to put together dinner. Tonight was Italian night.

I had taken a block of tofu for each of the two teams of four students and frozen it overnight, then defrosted it at room temperature today; the freeze-thaw cycle opens up the texture of the tofu to make it more sponge-like in consistency, enhancing the taste and ability to pick up flavors. Because my wife, and sometimes I, suffer from digestion problems with tofu, I don't cook with it - with the only exception I can think of in my cooking classes. It was part of our main course eggplant saute.

They also made a herbed orzo with lemon zest, a simple polenta side dish, starting with prepared polenta available in wrapped tubes. Their panzanella (bread salad) was great, as it always is! They also made a blueberry crisp for dessert.

2 Comments:

At Wed Mar 28, 01:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger TNL said...

Eggplant saute looks great with the Polenta. Would you have a recipe?

 
At Thu Mar 29, 03:56:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, trupti. The eggplant is made by sauteeing diced eggplant and half-moon sliced onion till the eggplant is lightly brown, then adding cubed tofu (which I had first frozen then defrosted to give the tofu more texture), a can of stewed tomatoes, and herbs, and simmering over low heat - the longer, the better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home