Friday, August 14, 2015

Giant Peruvian Lima Beans with Purple Potato and Mixed Greens, Brown Jasmine Rice with Roasted Corn and Zucchini, Herbed Tofu w Vegetables (No Added Fat, Gluten Free)

I am preparing meals for some clients tonight. Typically, I just eat a little bit of each of the dishes over time as dishes become ready, and this becomes my dinner. Tonight, I decided to put several dishes together and, as otherwise usual, eat a plate of food.

Tomorrow, by the way, I'm expecting a second Instant Pot pressure cooker - this one is a "smart" one that can be precisely controlled with scripts that can then be shared. Alas, I don't have a smart phone or tablet, so, for me for now, it will just enable me to prepare two pressure-cooked simultaneously, great for home, client meals, and my classes.

I will detail the main bean course below and estimate quantities for my usual 2 or 3 servings, though I made much more since it was for a client, as well. Here is what I did:


Ingredients
  • 1 cup Giant Peruvian Lima Beans rinsed and soaked overnight
  • 3 medium purple (or Yukon Gold) potatoes cut into quarters (approximately a cup)
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1 cup frozen or mixed chopped greens of choice (I used mustard, collard, and kale)
  • 1/2 t fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice
  • (optional) 1/4 t (or to taste) salt
  • (optional) 1/8 cup onion, chopped to 1/4" cubes
Process
  1. I rinsed the beans then added enough water to just cover them, as well as the potato and bouillon cube, and cooked for 23 minutes in my Instant Pot pressure cooker.
  2. I let the pressure cooker cool a bit for a few minutes, then slowly let the pressure out.
  3. I added the greens and lemon juice. My client prefers bland food with minimal salt, so I added nothing else, but did add some salt and onion powder at the table.
I also made some brown Jasmine rice (1 part rice to 2 parts water, along with a vegan bouillon cube; I put it in my Zojirushi rice cooker in the brown rice setting but otherwise could be simmered stovetop for 45m). When the rice was ready, I mixed in some roasted corn kernels and fresh zucchini. Finally, I had some pressure cooked tofu (tofu, carrot, water, and bouillon cube cooked at low pressure for 3m; fresh celery and a little salt added before serving).

Results

Dinner was good - I hope that my clients will enjoy these and other dishes that I am preparing for them. I need to keep these tasty giant Peruvian lima beans in stock - I think that this is my first experience with them, and they were nice, soft, and creamy.  The beans went great with the potato.The tofu was good, though I wish that I had also cooked the celery. The rice was good; I'm not used to sticky rices, but still enjoyed this.

Ideas for the future

The beans were fairly soft and I am sure that I could have gotten away with a shorter cooking time, perhaps 15-18 minutes. The potato was fine but also soft - it would have been fine in 15-18 minutes, too, I suspect. I only added vegetables to the rice because my clients like it that way, but plain rice would have been good with this combination.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home