Rainbow Chard with Black Beans (No Added Fat)
My daughter and I picked out a beautiful bunch of rainbow chard a day or two ago, and I thought it would be nice to make a pressure-cooked meal with it today. I thought that I'd include some finely chopped potato so that it could cook along with the chard in 3 minutes, and wanted to include some black beans that we had on hand. Unfortunately, on principle, my Dad won't eat any leftover foods, so I was momentarily stumped. Then I realized that I could make my dish sans beans, serve it to him, and mix in the beans for the rest of us - and some garlic (he doesn't eat garlic), as well! This is what I did:
- Medium or large Yukon gold (or other) potato cut into small cubes about 1/8" or slightly smaller
- About a quarter cup (maybe a fifth of a large onion I had) onion chopped into 1/4" x 1/2" strips
- Rainbow (or Swiss) chard bunch, stems cut into 1/2" lengths and leaves hand torn into approximately 3/4" squares
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup prepared black beans
- 1 clove (NOT whole bulb!) garlic, finely diced
- Salt to taste (I used approx. 1/2 t), as well as freshly ground black pepper (I used about 1/4 t)
- Approx. 1/2 t tarragon
- I put everything but the beans, garlic, and seasonings into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When it cooled down a bit, I gently released steam, added the seasonings, and served to my Dad.
- I added the garlic and black beans, and served to the rest of us.