Sunday, December 14, 2014

Baby Sweet Potato with Brussels Sprouts and Lentils (No Added Fat)

Yesterday, a friend brought a bag of small sweet potatoes that she has been finding at her nearby farmer's market. I'll call them "baby sweet potatoes" and update here with a comment anything else that she may find out from the market about them. They are thin, maybe 5-6" long and about 1/2" thick. I loved the idea of cooking with them, as they should cook quickly. Here is what I came up with for tonight though, as described below, it turns out we'll eat this tomorrow.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup brown lentils
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 vegan bouillon cube
  • 10 Brussels sprouts, quartered
  • 10 baby sweet potatoes (approx. 6" long by maybe 1/2" thick; it was about a half cup); for regular sweet potatoes, just cut them into pieces 3-6" long and 1/2" or so thick
  • approx. 1/2 cup onion cut into approx. 1" x 1/4" strips (about a quarter of a large sweet onion); another 1/2 cup cut into 3/8" cubes reserved
  • 4 leaves kale, stems discarded (composted), and roughly hand torn into approx. 3/4" squares
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 2t finely chopped ginger
  • Salt (I used about 1/4 t) and freshly ground black pepper (I used about 1/8 or 1/4 t) to taste
Process

  1. I put the lentils, 1 1/2 cups water, and bouillon cube in the Instant Pot electronic pressure cooker and cooked for 10 minutes.
  2. When it cooled down a bit, I gently released steam and added the Brussels sprouts, sweet potato, the first 1/2 cup of onion, kale, turmeric, and ginger, then cooked for another 6 minutes at high pressure.
  3. When I was ready to serve (or not - see result below), I slowly removed the remaining pressure and opened the lid, mixing in the second half cup of onion, as well as salt and pepper.
I also made some quinoa.


Results

I had already quickly fed my hungry kiddo earlier some leftovers. My wife decided not to eat; she had gone out to a film and eaten earlier. So, it was my Dad, whom I did serve the meal, and me left. I hate to eat before my wife, so decided to save tonight's dinner and serve it tomorrow. As I usually do when spicing at the end, I took a little sample - it tasted good!

Ideas for the future

A little garlic might have gone well with the dish, as well as a little hot pepper, but my Dad wouldn't have eaten with the garlic, and my daughter would have objected to the second.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home