Eggplant and Potato served with Grilled Jerk Eggplant and Jade Pearl Rice (No Added Fat)
I have tried cooking with eggplant in my Instant Pot, where it takes only 2-3 minutes to cook. I've been thinking that more flavor would be in the eggplant if it were sautéed first, and the Instant Pot has a sauté feature. Here is what I tried for cooking my last dinner for the year:
- Medium eggplant cut into 3/8" slices; reserve three slices and then cut remaining eggplant into 3/8" cubes
- 4 small Yukon gold potatoes cut into approximately 3/4" cubes
- 1 ounce water
- 1 vegan bouillon cube
- 1/2 head kale, stems removed (I composted them) and leaves roughly hand cut into approximately 3/4" squares
- Another ounce of water
- Cup of onion cut into 1/4" x 1" or so slivers (it took about 1/3 of a medium onion for me)
- 4 ounces crumbled seitan
- Approx. 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- I put the eggplant cubes, potatoes, ounce of water, and bouillon cube into my Instant Pot and turned it on in sauté mode on low. I cooked, stirring occasionally, for about 7 minutes till the water was absorbed and ingredients began sticking to the pot.
- I turned the Instant Pot off, added the kale and additional ounce of water, and cooked on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- When I was ready to serve, I slowly released pressure, mixed in the onion and seitan, and served to my Dad, who doesn't eat garlic. I added the marinara and served to my wife, daughter, and myself.
I should make several more dishes with eggplant cooked this way. Perhaps I could then try additional ways of cooking eggplant (slow cooking?) in my Instant Pot.