Saturday, September 20, 2014

Sweet Potato with Sweet Potato Leaf and Seitan, served with Mixed Vegetable Orzo in Roasted Red Bell Pepper (No Added Fat)

My wife came home from the local farmers' market with biodynamic sweet potato greens. I didn't know that they were edible, but they are! I found a nice article about the greens online, and decided to try a sauté with seitan.

Ingredients
  • 1 medium sweet potato (if organic, no need to peel - otherwise, peel), cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1 vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/4 red onion and 1/4 yellow onion (really, half of any kind of onion would do - total quantity of about 1/2 or 3/4 cup), cut into a 3/8" dice
  • (optional) 6 medium shiitake mushrooms cut into 3/8" slices
  • 8 ounces seitan, cut into approximately 1"x3/8" slices
  • Bunch of sweet potato greens, stems left behind and leaves roughly halved by hand
  • 1t ginger, finely grated (oops! I forgot!)
  • 1 or 2 T coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
Process

  1. I put the water and bouillon cube into a small Saladmaster stock pot and brought to a boil.
  2. I added the sweet potato and mixed, covering the potato with broth. Most of the broth was absorbed into the potato, so I feel justified calling this a waterless meal.
  3. I covered the pan and reduced the heat till the vapor release on the lid stopped clicking. I continued to cook on low, making sure to have no or minimal clicks, for 15m.
  4. In parallel, I put the onion into a Saladmaster skillet and sautéed on medium heat just a few minutes till the onion was cooked and getting clear.
  5. I then added the mushrooms and cooked for a minute or minute and a half.
  6. I added the seitan and cooked for 3-5 minutes till the seitan was starting to show a bit of browning. A bit of garlic at this point would have been good but my Dad, who is visiting for a few months, doesn't eat garlic.
  7. I added the sweet potato greens. (Had I not forgotten, the ginger would have been good at this point.) As the article I referenced mentioned, the greens cook down like spinach fairly quickly; I cooked just for a minute or two.
  8. I added the coconut aminos and scraped the pan a bit, easily cleaning up any slight stickiness of food in the pan. I served with hot sauce at the table..
My wife came home with quite a few bell peppers, so I roasted two bell peppers for the four of us. (I put the peppers on the open flame of my gas range, turning till they were more or less all blackened. I then put them into a brown paper bag and bunched the bag closed. After some time (at least 5-10 minutes), I ran the peppers under running water, gently rubbing the peppers so that the darkened portions came off. I halved the peppers, removed the membranes and seeds, and served stuffed with a mixed vegetable whole wheat orzo dish that I had as leftovers from yesterday's Food for Life class.

Results

Wow, the sweet potato leaves were good raw and made a great cooked dish! We all enjoyed the meal.

Ideas for the future

Garlic would be a good addition to the main course, as could be a bit of jalepeno.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home