Friday, September 26, 2014

Fennel with Seitan, Corn and Quinoa (No Added Fat)

In my Food for Life class earlier today, one of the dishes that I prepared was a tasty orange and fennel salad. I had most of a fennel bulb left, and wanted to explore some new creations with fennel. I found a simple and appealing recipe for braised fennel and shallot, and hope to try it soon.  I was in a bit of a rush tonight as I was going to a performance, but came up with a good dish.

Ingredients
  • 1/3 medium onion cut into thin (approximately 1/4") half moons
  • 1 medium bell pepper, cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 2T fennel root, cut into approximately 1/4"x3/4" slices
  • 1T fennel stalk, cut into approximately 1/4" cubes
  • 8 ounces mushroom (any variety) cut into 1/4" slices
  • 4 ounces seitan, in approximately 1/2" x 1" strips
  • (Optional) Pinch of fennel fronds per serving

Process

  1. I was initially thinking of preparing a waterless meal so chose a small Saladmaster stock pot and put the onion into it.
  2. I stirred over medium heat for a few minutes till the onion became slightly clear, then added the remaining vegetables.
  3. I stirred occasionally and cooked for another 2 or 3 minutes to let the mushroom cook down a bit, then added the seitan. (If I had really wanted to cook in the covered waterless fashion, I'd have put all the ingredients in initially. In hindsight, though this worked out well, I could have used a skillet.)
  4. I cooked, stirring occasionally, for another 4 or 5 minutes, then served, topped with a pinch of the fennel fronds.
I also prepared some mixed brown and yellow quinoa with onion and corn.


Results

Dinner came out well. I am glad that I used the fennel and in small quantities. All three portions of the fennel tasted good but didn't overpower the dish. The corn and quinoa was a good combination.

Ideas for the future

Garlic would go well with the main course, as would a touch of hot spice.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home