Saturday, March 30, 2013

Carrot-Ginger Bok Choy Saute with Tempeh Sheets, Leftover Quinoa with Asian Slaw Salad (almost no added fat)

I took advantage of a few leftovers when I planned tonight's meal. I had maybe 1/4 cup of creamy carrot-ginger soup from a few days ago, as well as a purchased  quinoa with asian slaw salad from Whole Foods Market. The soup had cashews and the salad had a little tahini, so I am calling this an "almost no added fat"* meal.

I put my Saladmaster saute pan on medium and put in about a third of a sweet onion cut into thick half-moons (maybe 1/2" wide). I let the onion cook, with no added fat or liquid, for a few minutes till they were getting cooked but not carmelized, then I added 2/3 of a package of tempeh. I had first cut the tempeh to be half as thick, then cut into approximately 1" squares.
After the tempeh started getting a little bit of color, after about 3 or 4 minutes or so, I added the following:

  • a head of bok choy, with each leaf sliced down the middle,
  • a small shallot diced to about 1/4" cubes, 
  • a large pinch of salt, a small pinch of freshly ground black pepper, and maybe 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano, and
  • the small amount of carrot-ginger soup

I served this with the prepared salad and some very tasty slices of heirloom tomato. It was a good and tasty dinner!

The carrot-ginger soup that I make is pretty thick, and by cooking it down here, it really was more a sauce by the time I was done with it. I cooked for about 3 more minutes, till the soup/sauce was largely absorbed. I would also have liked to have included a little Cajun or other spice, or perhaps a little jalapeno, but, in interests of serving my daughter as well as us, I just put some hot sauce on our individual plates.

*Let's see ... the whole batch of soup, maybe 8 cups, had about 1/2 cup of cashew, but I had only had about 1/4 cup of soup left. The salad was part of Whole Foods' Engine 2 low-fat diet. Cashews have 62g of fat in a cup, so they probably contributed (1/32 soup * 31g fat/whole batch of soup) only a gram or so of fat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home