Sunday, June 26, 2011

Carribean Inspired Curried Coconut Seitan and Cremini with Organic White Corn-off-the-Cob

For tonight's dinner, I made something that we all loved - but then, how can you go wrong with seitan and mushrooms? I used Key West Mojo Criollo sauce and reduced-fat coconut milk, along with herbs, spices, seitan, Vidalia onion, cremini mushroom, lemon peel, grated coconut, and hot sauce.

In particular:
  1. I began sauteeing a package of seitan strips over medium-high heat
  2. After about 3 minutes when the seitan started showing a little bit of browning, I added half of a Vidalia onion, chopped into 1/4" pieces
  3. My toddler likes a little bit of spice, but to be sure, I have been toning down hot spices. I would have liked to have put a little jalapeno at this point. Instead, I added to my plate before serving some shakes from a vinegar-based hot sauce that I like
  4. After another 2 or 3 minutes, I added a half dozen cremini mushrooms, cut into 1/4"-3/8" slices (for a medium-sized mushroom, approximately quartering each mushroom)
  5. After another 3 minutes or so, the seitan was nicely browned and the mushroom was cooked down; I added about 1/2 teaspoon rosemary needles and 1/4 teaspoon lemon sage and stirred briefly
  6. Just a quarter minute or so later, I added about 1/4 cup Key West Mojo Criollo and 1/8 cup reduced-fat coconut milk, as well as a few dashes of lemon pepper, dried organic lemon peel pieces, and a little salt
  7. I cooked on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, then added 2T frozen grated coconut, a dash of turmeric, and a little bit (maybe 3T) more coconut milk
  8. Like when making risotto, I added another few T of liquid (coconut milk) a few minutes later, not letting the dish swim in coconut milk but keeping it moist, and served
Tonight, we were all going to an American Dance Festival performance and I initially thought we had less time to eat than we actually did, so I made an embarrasingly simple to the main course, Ramen noodles. I should have prepared a whole-grain rice, but the noodles were fine. I also served some roasted artichoke hearts, as well as freshly flame-roasted organic white corn with a little bit of finely diced Vidalia onion, fresh lime juice, Earth Balance margarine, and salt.

1 Comments:

At Mon Aug 22, 12:58:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

A friend in Germany who wanted to recreate this but didn't have this prepared sauce found an easy recipe at http://www.food.com/recipe/mojo-criollo-135130, which simply calls for shaking together "1/4 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed; 1/2 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed; 1/2 cup olive oil; 1 teaspoon dried oregano; 6 garlic cloves, pressed;
salt, to taste; black pepper, fresh ground, to taste".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home