Thursday, May 12, 2011

Kohlrabi Puree over Mashed Potatoes with Jerk-Spiced Tempeh

In our weekly online farmer's market delivery from Papa Spud's, we had several bulbs of kohlrabi. I've cooked with kohlrabi a few times, but wanted some new ideas and found an interesting kohlrabi puree recipe online. I adapted this recipe and served the resulting fresh, green, appetizing puree atop mashed potatoes, with sauteed tempeh spiced with jerk seasoning and a salad.

I left the skins on 4 kohlrabi bulbs, but cut the tougher very tops and very bottoms off, then cut the kohlrabi into 1" or so chunks. I simmered the kohlrabi for about 12 minutes till the pieces were tender.

While this was going on, I started sauteeing over medium heat a medium onion, chopped into 1/2" pieces. As the onion softened (about 5 minutes), I added 3 cloves of finely chopped garlic. I washed the kohlrabi leaves, composting a few that had yellowed, and roughly chopped them, adding them to the saute a minute or two later. I cooked till the leaves reduced down a bit, maybe 3 minutes.

I drained the cooked kohlrabi bulb pieces and put them in my Vita-Mix blender, then added the contents of the saute pan, a pinch of salt and pepper, and a handful of cashews. I then pureed briefly on high till smooth and served. It was delicious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home