Saturday, June 05, 2010

Cauliflower Enchiladas, Baked Potato

Like I did last Sunday, I decided to make enchiladas, as I had much of a pack of corn tortillas waiting to be eaten. A few days ago, my wife purchased some cauliflower and complained that I don't often cook with it - I didn't realize she particularly liked cauliflower! So, though I know she doesn't like Mexican meals, I thought I would make a cauliflower enchilada.

I preheated the oven to 375°F oven and started baking two small potatoes, wrapped loosely in parchment paper. I also cut most of a head of cauliflower into florets and cut those florets into quarters, then got the cut cauliflower cooking in boiling water.

I put a little bit of olive oil in a flat pan and briefly, for a few seconds each side, cooked each of six tortillas so each was softened a little. In the same pan, I then briefly sauteed for just a minute or two half a small Vidalia onion, chopped into maybe 1/4" cubes, and about a quarter red bell pepper, also chopped into small cubes. In the last few moments before I turned the heat off, I tossed in a few pinches of cumin seeds and stirred.

Once the cauliflower was soft, after maybe 10 minutes, I drained it and mixed it together with the onion and bell pepper, as well as a pinch or two of salt and maybe 1/2 teaspoon rosemary needles, roughly cut into halves or so. I laid out this mixture in the middle of each tortilla; on half of them, I also sprinkled a little bit of Daiya vegan cheese (cheddar). I rolled each tortilla and put a toothpick through it to keep it together.

I put the "cheese" tortillas on the bottom of a casserole dish, covered the filled tortillas with the remaining half of the 16 ounce can of enchilada sauce I had from last week, then put the three tortillas on top, and covered them with the last of the sauce. I covered the casserole dish and baked in the oven for about 20 minutes, till the top-most parts of the top layer tortillas were getting a little crispy.

I served it with some seitan strips. Avocado and baked potato rounded out the meal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home