Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Lacinato Kale with Corn and "Fancy" Tempeh, Quinoa, Salad

We got home late and I wanted to get dinner going quickly. I was pleased with coming up with a healthy and quick meal plan.



I had purchased some frozen organic corn kernels, and was thinking of boiling it with kale, separately preparing limed seitan and maybe even jerk limed seitan, then mixing them together. However, I remembered that I bought a day or two ago a prepared tempeh from Whole Foods Market, and wanted to use it. Though I had wanted to serve the tempeh on its own (as I recall, it had coconut and some interesting seasonings), it worked mixed in to this main course.

I hand shredded the lacinato kale leaves into bite-sized chunks, composting the stems and ribs. I had read on the web that vinegar would help in boiling kale, so I got a pot of water plus a few tablespoons of vinegar boiling, then put in the kale, intending to cook till the kale turned dark green - it turned out to be about 10 minutes. A few minutes before I thought I would be done, I added about 2 cups of corn. In the meantime, I was heating the tempeh in my toaster oven.

I drained the cook vegetables and mixed in the warmed tempeh. I added a little bit of chopped raw onion, a little soy sauce, maybe 1/8 or 1/4 teaspoon of dried oregano, about 1/8 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, and two or three shakes of a liquid smoke seasoning.

It turned out to be good! I would like to try similar dishes by boiling maybe kale plus turnips, and mixing in limed seitan.

I also made a simple quinoa side dish, and a salad. Organic avocadoes are on sale for ninety-nine cents each at Weaver Street Market!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home