Friday, February 13, 2009

Tuscan Style Rice and Beans, Asparagus with Shallot

I used Seeds of Change brand Tuscan Style Rice and Beans boxed dinner kit as a base for tonight's dinner (I think this is discontinued; it is definitely vegan, but the company's website only lists a Siena version that has turkey products in it). I had to saute the rice and beans for a few minutes, till the rice browned, then added two cups of water and their seasoning packet, then simmered for 15 minutes. It turned out well - my father-in-law enjoyed it, though my wife didn't particularly like it.

I also introduced my father-in-law to asparagus by serving it sauteed with shallot. I was surprised that he wasn't familiar with asparagus, but was happy that he liked it. He has some problems chewing, so next time I prepare it, I probably will chop it. I also made some corn with chili powder, Earth Balance margarine, and salt mixed in.

Yesterday, I brought my father-in-law to my photography class, then also met my baby and wife for a very nice meal at Panzanella Restaurant in Carrboro. He liked his pesto pasta, and I loved my pesto pizza with artichokes and mushrooms.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home