Friday, January 30, 2009

Thai-Style Green Beans over Rice Noodles

We had some green beans to use up and I was in a bit of a mood for rice noodles. I came up with an idea for a dish which came out more tasty than I had expected!

I sauteed over medium-high heat, using a garlic grapeseed oil that I just opened and about a half of a sweet onion, sliced into thin half moons. I diced half of a jalapeno pepper and added just a few pieces, as well. As the onion started clearing up a bit, after just a minute or so, I added a third of a package of tempeh, cut into cubes of size approximately 1/4".
As the tempeh browned, after maybe 5 minutes or so, I added several handfuls of green beans, cut into approximately 1" lengths, the rest of the jalapeno (rationale: get the pepper's heat into the oil but leave most for later in the cooking so that those pieces remain fairly intact), and a bit of diced ginger (maybe 1/4 teaspoonful). I cooked just a few minutes, letting the beans get brighter green but not browned. I added a tablespoonful or so of soy sauce in the last 1/4 minute.
I served over briefly boiled rice noodles. I sprinkled some garlic gold nuggets on, and also served some prairie bread, toasted with Earth Balance peanut butter (it has healthy flaxseed in it!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home